Blame it on the Boogie

Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times
Blame it on the boogie
--The Jacksons

Even though I loved disco at the time even more than hard rock, KISS was my first big concert in 1977 at the Clevelan Coliseum (I guess I also saw Up With People, John Denver, and Gordon Lightfoot around that time). The overwhelming blizzard that night meant that we got to move from our obstructed view seats to very close to the stage. I still can't believe people would let snow keep them from a show. I still can't believe I saw people taken from the show on stretchers due to overdoses even before the first riffs, sparks, & snarls came from the stage.

I didn't listen to the Jacksons like I listened to The Village People and the Bee Gees and by the time Thriller came around, I was more interested in U2 and REM. But still, Michael Jackson's passing was a big deal to me.

(To be continued)

Comments

Popular Posts